5am because, despite being utterly exhausted last night, I did of course wake up an hour ago, at 4am. Because that’s 9am UK time.
So while my brain is buzzing, I thought I’d at least post some regular news headlines – as opposed to roving reporter blogger ones from your Mann in Washington.
Apart from all the Obama-related news, the main story on TV, of course, is the Hudson River plane crash – which is producing endless upon endless reports, including such gems as “Coming after the break – we’ve got the 911 tapes!” and “There needs to be a new word invented because ‘hero’ isn’t good enough” (or something along those lines). The latter coming courtesy of Larry King – who clearly thinks that the word ‘hero’ is good enough for, say, soldiers or firefighters.
But I digress. Back to the headlines catching my (bleary) eye online this morning:
- Osama Bin Laden has released another tape, challenging Barack Obama over Israel.
- Barack and Joe kick off their train tour – from Philadelphia to Washington – today.
- The White House will be open to members of the public the day after inauguration. Sign up here for your chance to be one of them.
- Malia and Sasha Obama have thrown down the gauntlet to their daddy.
- The Obamas’ first inaugural dance is revealed. And it’ll be sung by Beyonce.
- Obama works the Washington journalists.
- Bush’s staff leave the White House.
- The current crowd estimates for the inauguration is 2 million. In fact, as I type this half-watching CNN on the TV in my hotel room (which is fortuitously re-showing last night’s Larry King Live), a ticker is scrolling across the bottom of the screen which reads:
‘Heading to DC? City officials say you’d better have a plan’
Fortunately, I do.